Two sides of me

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Two sides of me

Post by Mikey Chase on Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:24 pm

A few drops of blood was all it took to change things. He’d realised that over the years, the sight of the red liquid worried people, scared them. It never seemed to worry them too much though if it was his; if it was someone else’s though, suddenly it was a problem.
His brother and father never seemed to have a problem if he ever came home with bruises or other injuries, but if they ever heard of him hurting someone in return, all hell would break loose.

The school he’d attended just thought he was acting out, ignoring the fact he was bullied and made excuses that he did things for attention, which had just made other students target him more. Though there were times where he was happy despite what was going on around him, most of the time he seemed almost…depressed; though his mood could change very suddenly at times. The fact that he was short and wore glasses didn’t help with the bully situation either as he was growing up, neither did the quietness that came with his darker moods.

He was named after his father, Michael Chase, though he hated to be referred to with the same name as someone he thought didn’t care at all; his father knew exactly what was wrong after all and did nothing…until now of course.

His family knew he had a condition, but his father ‘couldn’t afford’ the medication he needed, preferring to buy alcohol for himself rather than help his son. Instead, thanks to his most recent incident, Mikey was sitting waiting outside the office of a psychiatrist his doctor had recommended seeing.

Mikey didn’t want to be there, but his doctor had agreed with the policeman who’d shown up on the Chase’s doorstep the night before, it was either get help or face charges. So here Mikey was, sitting on an uncomfortable chair in the psychiatrist’s waiting room, nervously looking around as he waited to be called in.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Two sides of me

Post by Amy Richards on Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:24 pm

Things in Amy Richard's life had led her to make a series of choices so that she ended up nothing like her mother. For instance, the choice to actually persue a career instead of ending up a battered housewife was one of them. Now, instead of a wife who waited solely on the whim of her wife, she was a very independent working woman who went home to her boxes of ramen at night and didn't bother in looking for a man or life partner.

She couldn't blame the way she turned out, as a child she was very shy and very quiet. Amy had always preferred the company of herself, a good book, and good music to the gaggles of giggling girls that roamed high school halls looking for the flavor of the month boyfriend. Now, at the ripe age of 25, she was the youngest practicing psychiatrist in the state.

Her newest patient had been a name she had thrown about town when out getting groceries or when going to see a movie on her own: Mikey Chase. The rumors about his dark side and the way he liked to fight were numerous. However, Amy suspected there was something else to it. She had heard he was a nerd, had heard that for his age he was small. These things were things that other men his age would surely bully him for. There were even rumors tossed around that he was gay but Amy attributed that to the fact that he was an angry man who didn't talk much to others.

Smoothing down the brown business skirt she wore, Amy walked out into the office. Smiling as she saw the young man sitting there, she called out to him, "Mr. Chase, you can come on back now if you want. If you don't want to, I can give you a few more minutes."

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mikey Chase on Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:06 pm

Mikey jumped slightly when he heard her speak to him, quickly turning to look up at her. He took in her appearance, noting that though she had the typical business look about her, she didn't seem to have the same air about her as the school counsellor he'd been sent to a few times before graduating.

Thanks to being quiet most of the time, Mikey was usually pretty observant, able to pick up on things most people wouldn't. She didn't seem to have the judgemental air about her as the counsellor from high school. That lady had never really listened to him, instead making wild guesses about why he did what he did, trying to tell him what he was thinking as he did it, instead of asking his thoughts about it.
Mikey hated that and he’d told her so…in a not so friendly way. They’d suggested his father keep him away from school for a couple of weeks after that; the only thing that accomplished though was making Mikey’s mood at the time even worse as his brother and father had had to take turns spending time away from work because the school had recommended he be supervised. Of course their anger at missing out on some of their usual pay was directed at Mikey.

His older brother, as he had been at school, was always the first to rub in the fact that Mikey was different and had even on occasion been part of the groups that had bullied him. His father, for the most part, just ignored him; unless he’d been drinking. The closest he got to paying attention to Mikey was telling him to cook food or do chores, or to sometimes blame him for a bad day at work when Mikey obviously wasn’t even there to have caused it…

Blinking a few times to bring himself back from being lost in thought, Mikey nodded before slowly moving to get up.

“Oh no, I’m fine…we can go in.” He said quietly to her, trying his best to ignore the other waiting patients in the room who glanced at him, knowing he’d probably snap at them if he turned to look. To avoid their gaze, Mikey kept his head down, nervously playing with the sleeve of his shirt as went over to the doctor.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Amy Richards on Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:33 pm

Amy smiled and moved aside to let Mikey into the room. She knew how to deal with people her own age in a work setting but when it came to dealing with them in a private setting, she grew nervous and restless. Due to having to take care of her own mother, she had never really had a close friend or even a decent relationship. She withdrew into her work, wanting nothing to do with the outside world unless it was work.

"I'm sorry about the mess," she apologized as she gestured to her desk that was cluttered with papers, "I really do need to do some spring cleaning. You can sit across from me if you like or you can sit on the couch and me in the easy chair. I'd opt for option two. The chairs at my desk aren't the most comfortable."

She smiled and sat down on her lazy boy, her high heels killing her. When she got home, her first order of business would be to take them off and put on her black slippers. They were certainly more comfortable than what she was wearing now. "I don't want to rush in talking about why you're here. In fact, you can tell me that on your own time. I'd like to start with getting to know each other. My names Dr. Amy Richards, you can call me Dr. Richards or Amy if you like. I enjoy reading, writing, and of course, television. I prefer the works of J.J Abrams and Joss Whedon."

Smiling at him, she invited him to join in on the conversation, "What sort of things do you like to do?"

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mikey Chase on Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:20 pm

“Oh um…it’s fine…” Mikey mumbled in response to her apology as he moved to sit on the couch, silently agreeing with her about taking the second option. He’d rather not have to be stuck sitting in another uncomfortable chair, especially when he wasn’t even sure how long he was expected to be there. “…my room isn’t really much better.” He added quietly as he sat.

He slowly nodded at the idea of talking about his ‘problem’ in his own time, glad she wasn’t going to jump straight in like others would have, though he frowned slightly when she stopped talking about herself and invited him to speak. Mikey wasn’t really in the mood for sharing personal details at that point, but he knew it was the only way they’d get anywhere and probably also the only way he’d get out of the room anytime soon.

Sighing, Mikey hesitated before responding; carefully thinking over his answer as if he was worried he’d say something that would gain a negative response. He’d learned in the past that saying the ‘wrong’ things would cause people to spend large amounts of time telling him why he shouldn’t have done or shouldn’t be doing something. He hated the way everyone had their own image of how he ‘should’ look and act, as if he’d chosen to be the way he was. He’d often wondered though how anyone would ever think a person would choose to suffer as he thought he did.

“I read.” Mikey eventually said, shrugging his shoulders. “And sometimes I write.”

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Amy Richards on Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:29 am

"I'm sure your room isn't at bad as this," smiled Amy as she sat down in her easy chair, clipboard in hand as she smoothed out her dress. "It's so dirty in here. My mind can get really cluttered sometimes and you know the saying. Untidy mind, untidy workplace."

"You like reading huh? What's your favorite things to read? I'm really big into fantasy fiction like Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth series but truth be told, I'd much rather curl up with a good comic book, manga, or graphic novel. I'm a huge fan of the Geoff John's Green Lantern series." Amy smiled and looked at him. Inviting conversations always made people talk more than if it was something deeper. "And what do you write? Usually I like to keep track of what I see and do during the day."

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mikey Chase on Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:42 pm

“It is pretty bad actually and it’s not even a workplace, it’s just my room.” Mikey said with a frown, looking at the mess on her desk. “You try keep things organised when you can barely focus on a task for more than a few minutes some days…” He mumbled afterwards, lowering his head to look down at the floor instead; anything to avoid eye contact, always worried people were judging him if he knew they were looking at him.

He zoned out a little as she asked about what he read; only hearing some of the titles and names she mentioned, though he lifted his head to look at her again at the mention of comic books.

“I read comics sometimes; they’re easier to follow when I can’t focus.” He said hesitantly, watching for the painfully familiar looks of disapproval he’d normally get for mentioning comics.

When she asked about his writing though, Mikey quickly went silent, nervously rubbing the back of his neck as he looked away again. After a minute or so of silence, he finally decided to respond. “I- …bits of everything I guess…”

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Amy Richards on Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:43 pm

Hearing what he had to say, Amy nonchalantly wrote it down in her notebook. She smiled at him and nodded, "I suppose so. My apartment is a mess too though."

Amy smiled when she noticed the connection they both had over comic books, "So you like comics? Not many people I get in here are awesome enough to do that. Tell me, Mikey, are you a DC man or a Marvel man? I'm a DC girl, always have been. My favorite super hero is the Green Lantern. I always found it fascinating how he has all that power due to his imagination."

The nervousness was something that she wasn't expecting. He was either really shy about what he had to say and what happened around him or he was just use to people talking down on his writing, "When I write," she decieded to speak up, "I write down everything I see around me. When I was little my uncle taught me that was a good idea. He was a reporter, he worked with Walter Cronkite and he said Cronkite always did that. So what do you write? It can't be any worse than that."

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mikey Chase on Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:54 pm

At her question about the comics, Mikey shrugged his shoulders. "I don't really go by the Marvel or DC really; it more depends on which two characters are being compared at the time. Green Lantern though, if you're referring to movies..." He said, pulling a face as he trailed off.

Listening to the doctor speaking about her own writing, Mikey fixed his eyes on the ground, slowly nodding once she was done.

"It could be worse actually..." He muttered, shifting uncomfortably. "I do sometimes write what I see, but I also write...other things."

He went quiet after that, making it obvious he didn't like talking about it, bringing his feet up onto his seat, his knees to his chest as he sat nervously biting at one of his thumb nails.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Amy Richards on Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:16 pm

Amy laughed at the face that Mikey pulled when he mentioned the Green Lantern movie, "Alright, alright I'll give you that one. It wasn't the best movie but I think that they did bring a lot of new fans to the genre. Really, the way I look at it, is if a film can do that for a comic book than it's an alright film in my book."

She noticed the way he muttered, obviously uncomfortable by the way he was sitting and reacting. She sat back and opened her purse, putting some chocolate on the table. She always found that patients seemed to open up a lot more when they were eating.

"You want some? I carry it around when I'm not feeling the greatest," Amy replied as she picked up a Snickers bar off the table. "You don't have to tell me what you write. We'll talk about what you want to talk about."

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mikey Chase on Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:02 pm

"Well I guess if you look at it that way it was alright..." Mikey replied quietly, slowly nodding. "Still not a fan of it myself though."

He watched as she pulled the chocolate out of her purse, looking at it suspiciously instead of actually taking any, though his eyes followed her hand as she took one herself. He was more used to having to get things for others in place of being offered something by someone else, so he wasn't quite sure how to react to the offer, though he understood her reasoning behind doing so.

"I...wouldn't have a clue what to talk about though..." He said nervously, rubbing the back of his neck with one hand. "I mean, most people usually just expect me to be the one who always has to listen..." He added, sighing quietly.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Amy Richards on Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:35 pm

Bingo.

With that last statement, that everyone expected him to be the one who was supposed to be the listener and the way that he didn't take the chocolate when offered, Amy had picked up on part of the problem. Something was going on at home; as it often was, and Mikey thought that he was the problem. While there may have been deeper psychological problems, that had a lot to do with it.

"Talk about you. How you've been feeling, what you've been going through. My job is to listen and to take notes so that I can help you," Amy smiled as she looked at him kindly.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mikey Chase on Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:50 pm

"I can't..." Mikey said quietly, quickly reaching out to take some of the chocolate, hoping that he'd get away with not answering properly if he was busy eating. He opened the chocolate he'd taken and took a bite, looking around the room absent-mindedly; the focused look he'd had earlier gone, as if his mind had suddenly shut itself off.

It wasn't that he didn't want her to help, she seemed to actually want to, unlike the others; he just had no idea how to explain what she'd asked him to, never having been able to before.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Amy Richards on Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:18 pm

Amy watched how mouse like he seemed to become when he took the chocolate and then as he ate. He wasn't paying attention, his people skills were seriously lacking. Amy knew about things like this. She knew how serious it was.

A person withdrew into themselves when there was any amount of abuse at home.

Amy didn't know how to phrase it so she just decided to ask as gingerly as she could, "Mikey...whats your family like?"

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mikey Chase on Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:26 pm

Mikey jumped at the question, almost dropping his chocolate as he snapped out of his daze. "Like every other family...?" He said hesitantly, trying his best to make it sound convincing, though he doubted even if it did sound true, she wouldn't believe it anyway. She just seemed to him like someone who could see past such things, one of those people who just knew when you were telling the truth. He had no idea what made him think that though and it bothered him.

Annoyed with himself for being unable to act how he normally did around people, hiding his true feelings from everyone, Mikey swore under his breath, a dark look in his eyes for a few seconds before it disappeared again, the sad, almost frightened look returning afterwards.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Amy Richards on Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:26 pm

He was lying, that was evident.

Amy took a few seconds to write that down before thinking gingerly about how to attempt to talk to him about this. Family was something she hated herself, how was she supposed to tell him that family could be a good thing sometimes.

"When I was a girl," she started, "my dad was abusive. He beat my mom in front of me and I was forced to sit by while it all went on. I saw my mom as a caring and loving figure until she started drinking too. The fights were unbearable sometimes. I really couldn't live in that house anymore so I moved out."

She chewed on the eraser end of her pencil carefully, "Sometimes, though we know that deep down they want to give us the best that they can in life, they just can't. We have to be able to look after ourselves before we worry about what our family needs."

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mikey Chase on Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:50 pm

"I can't move out..." Mikey mumbled, hugging his knees to his chest, not bothering to explain at all. It wasn't like he was too young to do so. He lowered his head to avoid looking at her directly, not wanting her to see the pained look in his eyes after hearing her talk about how her father treated his family. "...and I doubt my family wants to give me the best; they'd help me if they did." He added before he even realised what he was saying, looking annoyed that he'd done so afterwards.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Amy Richards on Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:34 am

"So you're family doesn't care for you?" Amy asked, not wanting to cut to the chase anymore. She was here to help him, to make sure that he had the best in his life. "Tell me about it Mikey? I mean, I do need to understand where you are coming from."

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mikey Chase on Thu May 02, 2013 3:03 am

Mikey flinched slightly at the suddenness of her question, pulling a face before shaking his head, the movement barely noticeable. "Not really..." He mumbled, hesitating before speaking. "Neither of them are very nice to me, unless they 'need' me to do something for them...even then though they're rarely nice." He sighed.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Amy Richards on Thu May 02, 2013 7:34 pm

"Family can be a pain in the ass, huh?" Amy tried to break the way that he looked like he was feeling. She hated talking about her own family so she understood how this young man felt.

"Have you thought about getting a job and moving in with another family member or friend that doesn't treat you as bad?" she asked, looking up at him with kind eyes. It wasn't an invitation to come live with her, not by any means. She just wanted to make sure that he was comfortable in life. She wanted that with all her patients.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mikey Chase on Thu May 09, 2013 6:10 am

"I had a job," Mikey said bitterly. "Until I got in trouble last time anyway...and no one else wants me working for them apparently, I've tried getting a job somewhere else."

He shook his head, slowly looking at her before speaking again. "Even if I had money to move out, there's no way they'd let me. My 'brother' makes sure I have no friends, he tells them all I'm dangerous."

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Amy Richards on Thu May 09, 2013 5:42 pm

"What about working here with me? My secretary Pamela is always complaining about how she doesn't have enough help when it comes to filing things for me," Amy offered as she looked at him kindly. He wasn't dangerous, at least not that she could see.

"The key, I believe, to getting you feeling better is to make sure you're family isn't around all the time. You're not a very mean person, you don't seem as if you have any real anger issues other than taking out on others what others and your family take out on you."

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mikey Chase on Fri May 31, 2013 12:36 am

"You just met me ...and you want me to work here?" Mikey asked; the look on his face suggesting he thought she was joking, she had only just met him after all. She knew barely anything about him...unless of course she was better at reading people than she let on.

He shifted uncomfortably as she continued speaking, though unlike in the waiting room, it didn't actually have anything to do with where he was seated.

"You...you don't have to do that, really..." He mumbled. "Everywhere I've worked, I always just seem to cause trouble."

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Wade Barrett on Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:07 am

"It has been said before by many of my co-workers that I am all together to trusting," Amy smiled at Mikey, though she knew that he thought she was joking. She was not. Giving him a job with her would assure that she could keep an eye on him and if anything else continued to happen she would call the police about his families treatment of him. While he was no child, the police would most certaintly help.

She noticed his movement, the uncomfortable shifting in his seat and the way he seemed to have gained a second demeanor. "I would do anything to help a patient of mine. You're a patient and I don't think you'd be any trouble."

~Man is not what he thinks he is, he is what he hides~
Wade Barrett

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mikey Chase on Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:38 am

"Maybe you are..." Mikey muttered, rolling his eyes.

When he realised how rude it had sounded though, he bit his lip, mentally scolding himself for it.  "I'm sorry," He said afterwards, frowning. "I didn't mean-"
He had to stop himself for a moment, closing his eyes as he took a deep breath. He stayed that way for a minute or so before opening his eyes again.

"Sorry..." Mikey apologised again, his voice quiet. "If you're willing to have me here, I guess I could give it a go..."

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next